Raw, mono-floral Manuka honey, made from the nectar of the Manuka plant native to New Zealand, has long been known for its unique properties and health benefits. In recent years, research has shown that Manuka honey can be effective at treating gingivitis and promoting healthy gums. If you are considering using Manuka honey for oral health, here is how to apply it:
- First, make sure your mouth and teeth are clean. Then, brush your teeth with a toothbrush and toothpaste, and floss to remove any food debris or plaque.
- Apply a small amount of Manuka honey to a clean finger, and massage it into your gums. Make sure to cover the entire gum line, including the areas behind the molars and at the back of the mouth.
- Leave the Manuka honey on your gums for at least 2-3 minutes. This will allow the honey to penetrate the gums and work its magic. You can also leave it on for longer if desired.
- Rinse your mouth with water to remove the Manuka honey. Be sure to rinse thoroughly to remove all traces of the honey.
- Follow up with mouthwash or an oral rinse, if desired, to help freshen your breath and kill any remaining bacteria in the mouth.
It is important to note that Manuka honey may cause your mouth to feel slightly sticky or sweet. This is normal and will go away after rinsing. You can also use mouthwash or oral rinse to help combat any stickiness or sweetness.
It is also a good idea to talk to a healthcare provider before incorporating Manuka honey into your oral care routine. Manuka honey may interact with certain medications or medical conditions, and a healthcare provider can provide guidance on the appropriate use of honey for gingivitis and oral health.
Overall, using Manuka honey for oral health is a simple and effective way to promote healthy gums.